Gary's Girl

Just me and my everyday experiences as a military wife and mom.

Monday, January 30, 2006

10 Years Younger

I'm back from my surgery and amazed at how good I feel. My doctor and the nursing staff all were amazed at how quickly I recovered and attributed it to my being in good physical shape. I am almost one week post-op now and about to go bananas to get out and about!!! I lost another couple of pounds - probably that pesky uterus. Now that I'm out of surgery, I realized how horrible I have been feeling for the longest time. I hope none of you other ladies out there suffer like I did just because one doctor tells you there is nothing wrong with you. I've been having so many female problems for years and I went to a male doctor and he said, "Oh, that doesn't seem abnormal." Well, my new doctor assured me that things were "abnormal" if I thought they were, because I know my own body and what is normal and abnormal for it. As it turned out, there was something wrong with me - adenomyosis. Which is a real condition that generally doesn't show up on most tests and can really only be diagnosed after a hysterectomy. It can also be very painful and cause lots of problems. So, I'm kicking myself for waiting 3 years between that first and second opinion. But, I must say, I already feel 10 years younger.

My mother came out to stay with me during my surgery and my father stayed with my kids. I only spent one night in the hospital - although I was offered 2 nights. While under my self-controlled morphine drip, I spilled my guts to my mother. I really cleared the air. I talked a lot about never feeling that I could meet her standards and about my battle with anorexia. The conversation was pretty one-sided, but I think it went well and she left Saturday and didn't seem to have any hard feelings about any of it. She said that I had a total different perception of what she usually means when she says things. Isn't that the way with all mothers and daughters??!! Help me out ladies. I see this with my own daughters. I guess those are things that I'll just have to continue to work on as a mother and a daughter - it's hard being either or both. Also, I think I have got to put in more work about not defining myself by the way I look - that is my daily struggle.

Thanks to all of you who kept me in your thoughts and prayers during this time. I feel like a million bucks - well, maybe 1/2 a million. When my doctor releases me to get back to my daily life I'll probably feel like a million! lol

Hugs,
Cara

3 Comments:

  • At 7:04 AM, Blogger heavenlydm said…

    Cara - sounds like God gave you the miracle of a tolerable time with your mom. I'm really glad for that, and excited about your recovery. It's amazing that you feel so great.

    Welcome back!

     
  • At 5:38 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    So glad you are back in commision, Cara. I'm glad the surgery went well. I've got mom issues as well. All we can do is tell our feelings and hope they heard us. We can't make them talk. So good job spilling your guts, even if it was drug-induced!

     
  • At 5:55 AM, Blogger Danielle said…

    Welcome back! I'm so happy to hear you are feeling better!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home