Gary's Girl

Just me and my everyday experiences as a military wife and mom.

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday. For almost 20 years I have cooked a big meal for my family and 1 or more guests. This is actually the first year I won't be doing that. It seems really strange. I'm not even making turkey. It's just me and the kids and they decided they would rather have chicken or ham. Well, I had to make a chicken because it at least looks like a turkey. I am making my famous rolls, mashed potatoes and stuffing. My son might fall over dead if I didn't do that! lol He's out buying extra flour and butter right now in case I have to make him another batch of rolls.

Gary emailed to tell me "good morning". I sure do miss him, but at least we are in the downhill stretch now. Oddly enough, in all his years in the Corps, he is generally home for Thanksgiving. He has missed Christmas several times, but I only remember him missing one other Thanksgiving. Normally at this time of morning he would be helping me get the bird ready for the oven. Later he'd be sneaking in to taste this and that, while pretending he was basting the bird. We laugh about that every year. He loves that yucky green bean casserole, so I have to make it every year. I'm more into making exotic things, but he insists that, no matter what else I make, we must have the green bean thing, mashed potatoes and my rolls. So, this is the first year I haven't made the green bean thing.

He just emailed me and said that he has a thumb drive with lots of pictures of me saved to it. I guess that's what he's doing for Thanksgiving;) I'd better go check on the rolls!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home